Antonio López’s most personal art book: Paisajes (Landscapes), a journey narrated in first person
ARTIKA presents Paisajes (Landscapes), a living work crafted by Antonio López himself: an art book that encompasses his roots, his career, the most important people in his life and his unfinished projects. All copies of this exclusive edition are signed by the artist.
His most intimate work
Paisajes (Landscapes) is the most personal art book by Antonio López. The artist has been deeply involved in every facet of this exclusive edition, from the choice of the images to the writing of the texts.
There’s no better way to gain access to the artist’s inner world than through his experiences and his own words. Paisajes (Landscapes) can be read as a personal diary: a compilation of his most brilliant works, placed in their context, along with the places and people that he has drawn inspiration from, who have shaped his life.
No book, until now, had managed to strike the perfect balance between the artist’s work and voice: Paisajes (Landscapes) draws back the curtain on the most intimate world of Antonio López through the way he sees and paints reality.
A personal and artistic timeline
Antonio López guides us through the process that has established him as a leader of contemporary realism: from his earliest works, painted in front of the open horizons of his childhood, to the urban scenes that have earned him his reputation.
Paisajes (Landscapes) breaks down the barriers between art and life. The artist unveils an intimate portrait of his story and his inspiration through the art of his uncle, Antonio López Torres, and his wife, María Moreno.
“My uncle was instrumental in my life. And a very great painter”. By decision of the artist, the work starts with a sample of his mentor’s painting, while the addition of works by his wife adds crucial significance to Antonio López’s story.
Paisajes (Landscapes) has the artist’s signature touch
Antonio López handcrafted his own model of this edition, hand-picking the images from his paintings and drawings and hand-writing his memories and reflections.
Antonio López and his model.
Beyond the art, López also provided images from his personal archive. This is another unique feature of Paisajes (Landscapes): it offers a glimpse of Antonio López's as-yet unfinished projects. Among them, a painting he started in Barcelona, which can be seen in this art book for the first time.
Paisajes (Landscapes) is the testimony of an artist who is still fully immersed in his creative development. With his meticulous studies of light and shades of colour, no one has been able to express all the truth hidden in a landscape like he has. He is also a relatable storyteller, one who knows how to use words as if they were strokes of paint on the canvas. This is why Paisajes (Landscapes) is the work that best defines Antonio López.
Antonio López paints his life in ARTIKA
- Paisajes (Landscapes) is the latest art book by ARTIKA, a limited edition of 2.998 copies.
- The work takes a chronological look at everything from Antonio López’s formative years to the paintings he is still working on today.
- It is an essential book for discovering the most significant scenes, art and people of the artist’s career.
- The front cover, printed on canvas, depicts his painting Gran Vía, 1 de agosto, 7:30 horas, 2009-2015 (Gran Vía, 1 August, 7:30 am, 2009-2015). The back cover is a close-up of the same painting.
- Paisajes (Landscapes) comes in a display case that offers several options for displaying the work. The design recreates the window the artist looked out of to paint the work reproduced on the cover.
- The set includes a giclée print, Rosas (Roses), which can be displayed separately.
- All copies are signed by Antonio López.