Philosophy, spirituality and mysticism were three elements that were deeply-rooted in Chillida’s thinking, and pervaded the artist’s work. Thus we should not be surprised to discover that Cántico Espiritual by San Juan de la Cruz was one of his bedside books.
In this work, Artika, publishing in conjunction with the Chillida-Leku Museum, brings together two of the Basque artist’s great passions: the mystical poems of San Juan de la Cruz, and art.
A unique masterpiece that harmoniously combines the poems of San Juan’s with reproductions of 32 of Chillida’s drawings and engravings, accompanied by 16 handwritten, intimate and personal quotations about art and spirituality, conceived by the artist himself.
The book’s binding includes oxidised iron covers that exude the magical dark light of the Atlantic, so characteristic of the famous sculptor’s creations. A homage to the artist who managed to tame metal.
It comes together with a Study Book, a little treasure in itself, in which leading specialists open the reader’s eyes to this mystical poetic work from the 16th century and the graphic work of the 20th century artist.
The volumes are presented in a box-sculpture that manifests all the strength, durability and colour that we find in Chillida’s work, and also features details alluding to his symbology.
An emotional journey narrated by two great figures, in a limited edition of 998 numbered copies.
- Box completely hand-made: base made of wood and the cover of 4 mm poster board
- Lined with high quality cotton cloth – black for the base and white for the cover
- Embossed in two colours
- Two inserts in the base that hold the two books vertically
- Inner protection bands to ensure stability if the two volumes
- Size: 39’5 x 48’5 x 18’2 cm
- Total weight of the piece: 16.5 kg
- Number of pages: 356
- 32 facsimile reproductions made by Eduardo Chillida as a homage to the poet; presented in the chronological order in which they were created, plus 16 quotations, hand-written by Chillida
- Old Mill Avorio paper by Fedrigoni (130 g) for the texts by San Juan de la Cruz
- Old Mill Bianco paper by Fedrigoni (100 g) for the 32 original-size plates by Chillida
- Brownish paper (160 g) as support for the hand-glued plates
- Pergamenata folden Star K paper (110 g) for the 16 texts selected by Eduardo Chillida
- Covers of oxidised iron (1.5 mm), protected with varnish, and with Chillida’s cross die-cut
- Black rubber spine
- Printed in seven colours
- Bound and sewn by hand
- Pages have been die-cut with Chillida’s cross
- Size: 30 x 39 cm
- Number of pages: 144
- Printed in four colours
- Semi-matt coated paper, 135 g
- Binding: embossed matt black Fibermark
- Number of photographs: 68
- Size: 30 x 30 cm