Caprichos is considered to be one of Francisco de Goya’s finest creations as an engraver, and one of the works that became a landmark in the history of Spanish art.
Artika, in conjunction with the University of Zaragoza, presents a unique, unrepeatable work that features facsimile reproductions of the 80 prints from the first edition of Goya’s Caprichos.
These were a collection of satirical engravings criticising the decadence of late 18th-century Spain and which, according to the experts, were partly a result of the artist’s own personal situation (poor health, heartbreak, political tensions and war).
The 80 prints, divided into two parts (the first part satirical, the second critical) have been reproduced with care so as to conserve all the details of the originals. Since the first edition that was used for making the prints was in an excellent state of conservation, the finished result is just as high in quality as the ones Goya produced in his own printing process.
This edition comes in a box that is hand-made and hand-lined, while the prints are protected by a unique folder that is a reproduction of the original one. There is also a Study Book, bound in black silk and embossed, which helps the reader to find out more about Goya the man, his work and his age.
A unique view of a historical period through the eyes of a grand maestro.
STEPS PRODUCTION PROCESS
The high-quality materials, carefully made by hand, ensure that this work will last a lifetime. Capricho 1 has been printed on the box, which has an inner insert.
The prints folder contains the engravings. It is a large-scale replica of the original, with a round spine and bound in paper.
Once the folder is finished, it becomes a hard-wearing separate box, with an interior lining that emulates the original flyleaves.
The prints are checked and adapted for printing by experts. The stochastic screening technique is used, to ensure the greatest possible detail.
The expert printer carefully checks all the essential details, examines the prints and discards any that do not meet the desired quality.
Lateral opening, double hinge
- - Completely hand-made
- - Embossed in two colours
- - Cotton cloth lining
- vSeal embossed on cover, with engraving no. 1 stamped in black
- - Interior lined with black cotton cloth, and with protective insert for the Study Book
- - Size: 35 x 50 x 10 cm
- - Lined with paper, instead of the original leather
- - Enlarged reproduction of the original
- - Interior lining: enlarged reproductions of the original on the inside covers
- - Spine with gilded nerves and edges and red spine label
80 reproductions of prints
- - Size of paper: 31.5 x 45.5 cm
- - Reproduction size identical to the original
- - Fedrigoni Corolla Book Ivory cotton cloth paper, 200 g
- - Printed in four colours plus varnish
- - Reproduction of the original manuscripts from the Prado Museum
- - Protective sheets of paper between plates