ARTIKA invites you to discover The Dreams of Frida Kahlo, an artist’s book that showcases the powerful personality and undisputed talent of the Mexican painter, a cultural symbol and universal icon.
For the first time ever, this edition brings the opportunity to enjoy all of Frida Kahlo's existing drawings in a unique and unrepeatable publication. To this end, painstaking research and investigation have been required, since most of the drawings disappeared after the artist’s deaths or fell into oblivion in often-inaccessible private collections and several museums.
The Art Book offers a selection of 34 drawings, reproduced in their original size and supplemented by quotes directly from Frida’s diary.
The Art Folder contains a reproduction of a large sepia print, El pájaro nalgón (1946), a spectacular and enigmatic mosaic from the period of Frida Kahlo's affair with José Bartolí.
The Study Book, illustrated with nearly 100 drawings, offers the first analysis of Frida Kahlo's work by the world's most renowned experts on the artist. Helga Prignitz-Poda, co-author of the catalogue raisonné on Frida's works, art historian and exhibition curator, analyses the Mexican painter's work in depth. The study is rounded out by Juan Rafael Coronel Rivera, journalist, poet, and grandson of Diego Rivera, and María del Sol Argüelles San Millán, director of the Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo Home Studio Museum, who explore Kahlo at her most intimate.
The Sculpture Case showcases the Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird (1940), which is revealed behind a veil of leaves in die-cut wood. Frida's intense gaze invites you to delve into her most personal works and the least-known facet of her art. The interior of the case reveals the artist’s hidden face as well as her most private world.
This is an exceptional opportunity to intimately discover the suggestive fragility of Kahlo’s dreams, the extraordinary strength of her art, and her passionate personal life.
STEPS PRODUCTION PROCESS
The Art Book is bound by hand, each page individually stitched together with cotton thread. The colourful binding evokes the essence of Frida and her work.
The cover of the Art Book is a die-cut wooden cover with the artist's name on it, which partially reveals her face. The endpaper is a detail from the emblematic Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird (1940).
Each of the 34 drawings in the Art Book are painstakingly joined together with three adhesive dots to showcase the expression of her most intimate world. The back of each sheet is stamped with its provenance and numbered.
The print El pájaro nalgón (1946) is exhibited in a separate folder. It is one of the most spectacular Frida Kahlo’s drawings from the period of her affair with José Bartolí.
The Study Book comes with a French dust jacket, a fold-out poster that reveals an iconic black-and-white photograph of the Mexican painter.
The Self-Portrait with a Necklace of Thorns and Hummingbird, one of the most influential paintings of Frida’s artistic career, decorates the Case Sculpture. The portrait is first printed on canvas before it is attached to the case by hand.
Protecting Frida’s most intimate world, the Case Sculpture is crafted in wood and hand-lined with a special green fabric that matches the papers used in the Art Book.
A wooden die-cut, decorated with a plant motif, covers and protects the Case Sculpture. Frida Kahlo's intense gaze invites you to delve into her most creative universe, hidden behind a veil of leaves.
- Bilingual edition: Spanish and English.
- 140 pages printed on: Curious Collection Translucents Spring 100 g (0.22 lb.); Pergamenata Naturale 110 g (0.24 lb.); Tintoretto Neve 250 g (0.55 lb.); Nettuno Rosso Fuoco 215 g (0.47 lb.); Tintoretto Ceylon Wasabi 250 g (0.55 lb.).
- Cover in oak veneered MDF die-cut with Frida Kahlo's name.
- Spine in Toile Canvas Cerise cloth and endpapers in Geltex 300 g (0.66 lb.).
- Prints: 11 on Freelife Merida White 140 g (0.31 lb.) and 23 on Arena White Smooth 120 g (0.26 lb.).
- Size: 40 x 40 cm (15.75 x 15.75 in.).
- Published in two version: Spanish or English.
- Cover in Toile Canvas Cerise.
- Flyleaves: Tatami White 170 g (0.37 lb.).
- Pages: Tatami White 150 g + varnish (0.33 lb.).
- Dust jacket on 125 g (0.27 lb.) Imitlin Neve Flat paper.
- Size: 25 x 40 cm (9.84 x 15.75 in.).
- 304 pages.
- Case in MDF wood, foamed PVC and cardboard. Cover in foamed PVC, sides in MDF wood. Inner frame and centre partitions in foamed PVC.
- Exterior of the case lined with Toile Canvas fabric.
- Interior lined with green Saphir fabric.
Veil of wooden leaves
- MDF oak plywood.
- Measurements: 72.5 x 45 x 10.5 cm (28.6 x 17.7 x 4.13 in.).
- Total weight of the work: 21.75 kg (47.95 lb.).
- Freelife Merida White 140 g (0.31 lb.) paper.
- Folder: 40.1 x 67.8 cm (15.79 x 26.7 in.). 115 g (0.25 lb.) olive green Geltex paper laminated with 300 g (0.66 lb.) white Geltex.
- Sheet size: 35 x 52.4 cm (13.78 x 20.6 in.).