Jaume Plensa considers his studio an extension of his head, the place where his ideas come from, and where they become reality.
ARTIKA invites the reader to discover the starting point for all his creations, the place where his ideas are generated and which is testimony to his extraordinary work, through an artist’s book created in collaboration with Plensa. A numbered, limited edition of 2,998 copies, all signed by the artist.
The case, an original, serialised sculpture created especially for this edition, shows the face of a girl with her eyes closed, an iconic image of Plensa’s artistic world. Inside, it contains two volumes that give the reader access to the artist’s most private world.
The Art Book reveals the creative process of the works, including previously unseen images from Plensa’s personal archives and several reflections that have marked his artistic career. Meanwhile, Notes and annotations, the Study Book, takes us on a journey straight to the very root of the artist’s ideas, and the most inaccessible part of him, by means of accurate reproductions taken from his notebooks.
STEPS PRODUCTION PROCESS
The folios of both the Art Book and the Study Book are hand sewn using high-quality cotton thread.
Both books are bound by hand, and a special type of glue is used to secure the covers to the body of the book.
The front cover of the Art Book is transparently tooled and indented, and in matt silver on the spine.
The cover of the Study Book, Sketches and notes, is printed in 4 inks and tooled in matt silver on the spine.
The case-sculpture is made from moulded rigid polyurethane with a matt-black mineral charge finish.
Each case is painstakingly polished by hand to ensure that there are no flaws left on the sculpture.
The base, which features a special typography created by the artist, is a piece of white Jesmonite that has been made by hand using a mould.
Jaume Plensa 61 is a limited edition of 2,998 copies, from 1 to 2,948 (Arabic numerals) and from I to L (Roman numerals), all numbered by hand.
- Case-sculpture produced in rigid moulded polyurethane with a matt-black mineral charge finish. Neodymium magnet fastening.
- Two sections measuring 32 × 50 cm each.
- White Jesmonite base featuring the artist’s name in relief.
- 15 kg. approx. (total weight of the work).
- Cover lined with Convon Senzo White CSE 4407 material, featuring transparent stamping on the cover and in matt silver on the spine.
- Printing in 4/4 inks plus selective lacquer.
- Flyleaves in Nettuno Bianco paper (215 g), and inside pages in Tatami White (170 g). Hand sewn folios with cotton thread.
- Numbered by hand by a calligrapher.
- Spanish/English bilingual edition.- 224 pp. in total.
- Size: 42.5 × 30.8 cm (horizontal format).
- Cover in gloss coated paper (135 g) printed in 4 inks plus matt lamination and stamping in matt silver on the spine.
- Printed in 4/4 inks plus selective lacquer.
- Flyleaves in Freelife Mérida White paper (140 g) and inside pages in Tatami White (115 g). Lined with Dubletta 3255 cotton fabric, folios hand sewn with cotton thread.
- 160 pp. in total.
- Size: 16.5 x 24 cm.