After the stage lights have dimmed and the last note has died away, Joaquín Sabina takes refuge in his notebooks and his marker pens, which have produced hundreds of drawings in bright, luminous colours, filled with princesses, myths and muses… Garagatos reveals to us this world of shapes and colours, a numbered, limited edition of 4,998 copies, all signed by the artist.
40 years of song also means 40 years of sketches, anecdotes and secrets that ARTIKA has collected behind the door of the singer-songwriter’s room, which Sabina himself painted, a case-sculpture that encloses two volumes.
The Art Book contains 66 drawings, selected by the artist, which portray the great themes of his musical work accompanied by verses, comments and lines from his songs. It also contains a pull-out poster almost three metres long and featuring 74 portraits.
The Study Book, Garagatos, is a journey described by some top-class writers, who know Sabina’s life and work perfectly well, namely Luis García Montero, Felipe Benítez Reyes, Miguel Ángel Aguilar, Benjamín Prado, Javier Rioyo and Nativel Preciado. Meanwhile, Guillermo Solana, the artistic director of the Thyssen Museum, reveals to us the characters, the influences, the archetypes and the clichés that inhabit the artist’s drawings.
STEPS PRODUCTION PROCESS
For optimum results, the 66 plates and the pull-out section are printed in five colours, including the silver ink which predominates in many of the drawings.
During the printing process, each plate is checked by specialists, who compare it with the original image and reject any plates that do not meet the desired requirements of colour and tone.
The Art Book has been hand-sewn using high-quality cotton thread and an original wooden frame. The black rubber spine is glued on to achieve the perfect finish.
The red vinyl cover is joined to the pages with colourful inside covers that feature drawings by the artist. On the front cover, the title and the author’s signature are printed using silk-screening.
The plates, in their different sizes, are manually secured onto the book’s pages with three drops of special glue, to ensure both the reader’s enjoyment and the optimum preservation of the drawings.
The magnificent pull-out section is comprised of 10 pages with a total of 74 drawings. Measuring almost 3 metres in length, it has an easy-to-use removable flap that allows the reader to enjoy the pull-out section either in the book or separately, on its own.
Each plate has been numbered and certified on the back; this includes the artist’s seal, attesting to the quality of THE WORK produced.
Joaquín Sabina, the author, has signed – individually and in pencil – all the copies included in THE WORK, which have also been numbered by hand.
Each section and piece of the box has been carefully and individually produced by an expert cabinetmaker. After they have been cut and polished, the pieces are joined together to form the box that will contain THE WORK.
The wooden box is given a white gloss lacquer finish, both inside and on the exterior, to give it a unique look reminiscent of the door of the artist’s bedroom at his home.
On the front of the box the signature is screen-printed in black, with the title in red. The three paintings by Joaquín Sabina on the door are printed in four colours onto wooden slats, after which they are fixed onto the box.
The base and the lid are held together by magnets. A lateral trim in the form of a hinge gives the final touch to the box, as well as giving a touch of realism to the front door of this unique work.
- Box comprised of a base and top made from gloss lacquered wood (both inside and on the exterior), with the two parts joined by four magnets, and with a lateral trim in the form of a hinge to enhance the realistic effect of the reproduction of the door
- Digitally printed in 4 colours, and in 2 colours for the silkscreen printing
- Size: 13,74 x 16,61 x 3,97 in
- Box weight when empty: 12.56 lb
- Size: 11,02 × 14,88 in- Number of pages: 160
- Printed using 4/4 inking system
- Interior in 0,44 lb Tatami White paper
- Inside covers printed using 4/0 inking system
- Covers lined with single-colour red vinyl PVC, spine in black rubber
- Binding: sewn with cotton thread
- 66 numbered plates printed using 5/1 inking system, secured with three drops of glue
- Paper used for plates: 0,26 lb Natural Evolution White
- Numbered and signed by the artist
- Pull-out size: 112,6 x 13,70 in (open), 10,23 x 13,70 in (closed)
- Numbered pull-out section printed using 5/1 inking system
- 74 portraits produced by the artist
- Format: 11,61 x 15,27 in
- Number of pages: 176
- Printed using 4/4 inking system
- Paper: 0,37 lb Tatami White
- Cover: 0,77 lb cardboard printed in 1 colour
- Dust jacket: 0,52 lb card, laminated in mirror-effect silver and printed in 1 colour
- Binding: hardback sewn without flaps, and with dust jacket