This unique edition shows Saura’s passionate, personal side, in which his drawings create an illuminating dialogue between two artists of universal stature.
Artika, in conjunction with the Fondation Archives Antonio Saura, has produced an edition of Baltasar Gracián’s masterpiece El Criticón illustrated by the Aragon-born artist. A series of sketches comprising views and landscapes from this classic of Spanish literature, as interpreted by the painter.
Saura is at his most creative here, condensing the elements he habitually uses in his work into a unique, outstanding limited edition of 998 numbered copies.
This impressive volume, bound in black cotton cloth, contains Gracián’s texts alongside facsimile reproductions of Saura’s 36 illustrations.
The work includes a Study Book which covers Gracián’s life and work clearly and informatively, as well as examining Saura’s career and including correspondence by the artist to provide context.
The two books come in a box made from aluminium and black lacquered wood – two tones that evoke Saura’s palette. The box’s original design leaves the print on the cover of the volume visible, and can be converted into a lectern for displaying the book when open.
A collection of enormous visual power which represents an exceptional homage to one of the great Spanish artists of the 20th century.
- Black lacquered wooden box
- Aluminium sliding cover, with black methacrylate interior lining
- Artist’s name die-cut on the top of the box
- Name of the work and the author screen-printed on the aluminium
- Slide-out brackets in the wooden base mean that the books can be displayed in a range of positions
- Wooden insert featuring trimmed methacrylate anti-fingerprint screen with a portrait of Antonio Saura
- Size: 50 x 39.5 x 18 cm
- Text screen-printed on black poster board, and hand-sewn with cotton thread
- Cardboard cover (4 mm) with corner fittings and spine reinforced in black cloth
- Number of pages: 288
- Reproductions of the 36 illustrations by Antonio Saura
- Plates printed in five colours with varnish on cotton paper, 200 g
- Plates affixed to the book with three drops of glue
- Cover lined in black cotton cloth, with print glued on
- Size of the plates: 14 illustrations measuring 40.7 x 31 cm and 22 illustrations of 20 x 31 cm
- Book size: 45 x 35.5 cm
- Printed in five colours on Tatami White paper, 200 g
- Bound in hardback with straight spine
- Number of pages: 144
- Size: 22 x 24.5 cm