The most precious and ancient collection of cave art in the world, the Chauvet Cave, is the main inspiration for this series of watercolours by Miquel Barceló. The visual impact that the artist experienced when he saw the paintings in the cave is reflected in this highly original work, which brings together two ages from art history.
ARTIKA presents a limited edition of 2,998 copies, numbered and signed by the artist, in which Barceló offers his own unique view of the Chauvet Cave.
Cahier de félins features reproductions of 37 drawings published in a monumental notebook, a series of feline figures in which Barceló fuses past and present movement in one strong, assured brushstroke.
The Study Book has been devised to give the reader that same sensation – that same visual impact and excitement the artist felt on entering the cave. All the elements necessary for discovering Chauvet’s main features, carefully explained by leading specialists.
By way of a final touch, the work includes a reproduction of one of the watercolours from Cahier de félins, selected by Barceló himself.
Conceived according to the artist’s guidelines, a natural, elegant maple wood box contains all the exclusive elements of this unique piece. It features a heat-engraved self-portrait of Miquel Barceló in which he depicts himself as a feline, created exclusively for this edition, and which lends more strength and personality to this unique work.
STEPS PRODUCTION PROCESS
The printing process (in four and five colours) ensures that the colours in the original notebook are faithfully preserved.
Graphic arts experts check the illustrations down to the last detail before approving or discarding them, all under the artist’s supervision.
Hand-sewn using high-quality natural thread, the books have been individually signed by Miquel Barceló.
The volumes are paperback and bound in ecru fabric. The expertise of the specialist bookbinders guarantees a perfect finish.
The box is handmade from solid maple. The top features a drawing produced exclusively for this work.
The top of the box is embossed using pyrography, a technique that involves burning the wood surface while regulating the intensity of the heat.
The band, which has a magnet clasp, is bound in the same way as the book and printed with the artist’s name.
Each volume is a unique handmade piece that has been carefully and individually printed, sewn, bound and packed.
- White maple wooden box with heat-engraved desing on cover
- 15 cm-wide ecru colour cotton cloth strip embossed with the name BARCELÓ, and fitted with a magnet clasp
- Size: 19.29 x 14.56 x 2.16 in
- Cover lined in ecru colour rough cotton cloth, featuring a reproduction of an exclusive drawing for the work done by Miquel Barceló
- Printed in four inks
- Volumen numbered and signed by Miquel Barceló
- Number of pages: 144
- Size: 16.92 x 12.99 in
- Cover lined in ecru colour rough cotton cloth
- Combined printing: in five and in two inks, respectively on two different types of paper
- Embossed cover
- Number of pages: 112
- Size: 16.92 x 12.99 in
- Print selected by Miquel Barceló with the same numbering as the corresponding copy of the work
- Printed in four + one inks
- Pre-creased and folded in diptych with protective translucent sheet
- Size: 34.64 x 12.99 in